Thursday, September 13, 2012

International Travel Health

One of the things I always worry about when traveling abroad is my health.  What happens if I brake a toe, catch malaria, or worse?  How will I get help, and if it is worse, how will I get back home?  These are important questions to ask yourself, especially if you are traveling solo or to a country where you do not speak the native language.

To put some of my worries to rest, I make sure to take the precautions I've listed out below.  By no means do I allow these fears to prevent me from traveling; however a safe traveler is an educated traveler!

Go See Your Doctor
Whenever possible (and applicable), I schedule an appointment with my doctor several months prior to a trip.  During this visit I discuss where I am going and if there are any recommended vaccinations for the area.  The CDC has a great website for travel information that lists out any health warnings for each country/region.  They also have a chart that lists out routine vaccines for everyone based on their age.  For example, I have an upcoming trip to Ireland over Thanksgiving this year.  The Health Information for Travelers to Ireland page states that the only vaccine preventable diseases found there can be covered by routine and hepatitis B vaccines.  Since I'm up to date on both, I'm all set.

Sometimes, the vaccines you need (such as yellow fever) are not readily available in the doctor's office.  For these,  you may have to visit a travel clinic.  Check with your insurance first to make sure a visit to the clinic is covered.  You may need a referral from your PCP.

Register with STEP 
The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a US government website that allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency. I know that not everyone is keen on the government knowing their every move, but this is a smart thing to do if you are going to a potentially unsafe environment.  You can receive updates from this website about any travel warnings or alerts before and during your trip.  In addition, you should print out copies of the nearest US Embassy location(s) during your trip just to have on hand.

Insurance (Health and Travel)
In some places, health insurance won't be a problem, but in others, you will be required to show proof of insurance prior to being treated.  With that said, you should always know if you health insurance is valid abroad.  Call the insurance provider directly and ask. Also, ask for a 1-800 or international number that you can reach them at from outside the country.  This number may already be on the back of your health insurance card.  If you are eligible, consider getting an ISIC card.  In addition to discounts, this type of insurance provides basic health and travel insurance coverage, and since this is an international company, you won't have as many problems reaching out to them from wherever you are.  If you are like me and typically skip over the section about travel insurance when purchasing your plane ticket, please reconsider!  Travel insurance can come in handy when your luggage is delayed or lost, or when a trip is cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.  You don't have to purchase insurance through the airline website.  There are lots of places (to be found on the internet) that will ensure a trip. 

Connections Back Home
Ideally, you should have a contact back home with every piece of information possible about your trip.  That should include copies of credit cards, itineraries, and emergency information.  I like to keep little information packets in my checked luggage, carry on bag, and with a friend or family member back home just in case.

Safe travels!



No comments:

Post a Comment