Thursday, December 26, 2013

2013 in Summary

Last year I wrote a post summarized all the adventures I went on during the year.  That was so much fun for me, that I decided to do it again!  I may not have gone on as many trips this year, but I did make some awesome memories and wonderful new friends.  Starting with...

An ice cold January in Quebec City where I spent the night in a hotel made entirely of ice and snow.  While the experience was incredible, it most likely won't be repeated this winter.  I did have a great time dog sledding through the forest and was introduced to one of my new favorite liquors, maple whiskey!

After thawing out, I headed south in February to San Antonio for the Rodeo.  While I confirmed that I do not want to be a rodeo clown when I grow up, I had a great time watching the professionals.  I also explored the Alamo and visited a longhorn ranch where I got to pet a newborn calf!

I repacked my parka and snow boots in March for a visit across the ocean to Iceland. Over 4 days I had many amazing experiences, including eating whale, walking on a glacier, exploring frozen waterfalls, soaking in a geothermal lagoon, and watching the northern lights dance across the sky.  It felt like I went from the moon to the jungle, and then to the arctic circle with all the different types of landscapes on that island. 

The next two months, I prepared for my big trip at the end of May to Peru!  The Amazon jungle presented a new set of challenges without electricity for most of the day, but held an amazing number of plants and animals I hadn't seen in the wild before. The altitude sickness that is usually associated with Cusco effected me minimally, and I was able to enjoy the quaint mountain town before exploring the ruins on my way to Machu Picchu.  To end the trip, I came back to sea level and spent a day in Lima.

Escaping the summer heat in July (or so I thought), I boarded the Carnival Glory for a cruise up to Canada.  The Reversing Falls in St. John were a nice stop to kill some time, but I enjoyed Halifax the most.   I am wearing my Roots sweatshirt as I type!

I stayed local for most of the fall until November came around.  My best intentions for planning this trip were cast aside with life's craziness and spontaneity took over!  Fortunately, it worked out most excellently and I had a great time both in Nashville and Memphis. 

December rounded out the year with a trip back to Pennsylvania to visit with friends and family.  Next year is going to be full of more adventures and excitement.  I can't wait to start planning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment