Saturday, January 10, 2015

2014 In Summary

The last couple of years, I've always finished with a post that summarized all the fun travels I was able to have in the last 12 months.  This recap not only helps jog my memory, it also reminds me how blessed I am to have the means and desire to visit such wonderful places.  Each time I go somewhere new, I realize just how big the world is and how different cultures are unique yet mesh so well in the big picture.

Starting back from last January when I went to Indianapolis, I already knew 2014 was going to be a cold-weather destination year.  The wind was blowing and most of that trip was spent indoors at the Museum of Art and different restaurants and bars.

As March rolled around and the temperatures just started to stay above freezing, the ski season started to wind down in Colorado.  As a beginner skier, this was an ideal time for me to visit Beaver Creek and give cross-country skiing a shot.  The mountain scenery was beautiful and I had a great time riding snow mobiles through the summer hiking paths. 

The third cold weather destination of the year took me to Alaska in May on a Norwegian cruise.  Leaving from Seattle, we enjoyed the free-style atmosphere and docked in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria, BC.  Some of the highlights of that trip were seeing the wildlife (a bear!) and eating freshly caught crab legs. 

Summer in Boston is beautiful, so I didn't take another trip until August to experience the new Harry Potter amusement park in Orlando.  A long weekend of butterbeer, sunshine, and rollercoasters was a great way to welcome in the Autumn season.

November was my last big trip of the year.  Thanksgiving is a great time to travel internationally and I found a really good deal with Affordable Asia in Thailand.  9 days split between Bangkok and Phuket introduced me to the Asian culture for the very first time!  I will never forget riding an elephant through the forest or getting to play with the tiger cubs.

As usual, December is a month dedicated to family.  I always head back to the town I grew up in and spend time with the people I don't get to see nearly enough.  

We are now into the second week of January and 2015 is already looking to be action packed! I've got tentative plans for trips all over the world (check out my calendar page for details). I can't wait!

Happy New Year everyone and Happy Travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment