Monday, October 15, 2012

Day 12


Its 7:15..CC is still sound asleep and I just groggily woke up. Well there goes breakfast.

The maids were coming today so we had
 quite a busy 20 minutes to get ready and hidethe water bottles, the toliet paper, and soap. You may wonder why we are doing this. No, it is not an Italian tradition, we just need to make sure that we are supplied with more. If we don't hide them, we don't get replenished.

After that fiasco and another unsuccessful surgery
 on CC's hand, we are off. Just as we turned the corner, CC runs head first into a stray dog that seems to be accompanying another person going to work. As we stroll along, I hear CC squeal "the dog is following us!"

What?!

I look back and sure enough the dog is 
on our heels. I am less worried about the dog than I am CC though since she has moved into panic mode. Why is she panicking? The stray dogs here have yet to hurt us, but I am a little nervous that CC's reaction is going to be mistaken as play time to the pup.

So we cross the street to avoid t
he dog and the upcoming traffic prevented him from following suit.

..for now

30 seconds later, I look back and se
e the dog sprinting towards us. Why I ever informed CC of this is still a mystery to me because the second I did, she was off. "STOP RUNNING" I screamed (has she never been told not to run from a dog?) I look back and it has just made the dog run faster...is this real? I screamed at her to go into the first open breakfast place she sees, but she kept screaming that it wasn’t what we had planned to dofor breakfast. Luckily, she ran into a place called La Gaufre (the waffle). Just when we thought we were safe, the dog literally follows us into this place. We just stared bright-eyed at the Italian barista pretending we didn't know the dog was following us, despitesCC's squeals and cowarding behind me. This man saves the day and shoos him away. Or so we thought.

While eating our crossiants and drinkin
g our fantastic cappuccinos, we look at the door and see the dog cuddled up by it. How are we ever going to make it to rotation? Seriously, are we going to have a herd of dogs following us there? After 5 minutes, he went the other way and we were free. This is the second time CC has run in Italy, first from a leather suited man and now from a poor, friendly stray dog...I'll keep you posted on what she tried to run from next week. Hopefully, its not me.

So we made it to rotation, finished our first project and were itching to go home. Its 2:30 and we finally finished our blog (while at rotation) and were ready to relax when Maria comes to get us. It’s 2:30 and we have nothing on our schedule, we look at her confused and then she tells us we are going to the OR. Oh all right, off we go! We get down to the OR and are told to go into the locker room. Not understanding what is going on and really wishing we could just go home early, a nurse hands us scrubs- which we should have been wearing every day anyways. We start to get dressed. As I am putting on my pants I notice that CC’s pants are far too big and my pants are far too tight. Seriously couldn’t pull them up. Ummmmm I guess we picked up the wrong pants. So we switch mid locker room as the nurse is watching us. We continue to put on our tops when I realize that my boobs have NO room. This is not appropriate, but all is well because CC was swimming in hers. Round 2? So we switch again; this time the nurse is laughing. Sweet. Scrubs are finally on. Success. Then the nurse looks down at CC’s wedge sandles and my flats and says “shoes.”

We moved into another room to get the shoes and gave our European size (guessed our European size would be a more accurate statement). I had little baby socks on while CC had no socks at all. We put on these red, rubber shoes and went on our way.

We met with the nurse in the OR who took us around. We passed a few surgeries while he explained the procedures. We came up to one room with an ongoing liver transplant. The guy asks us if we wanted to go inside to see. We enthusiastically said yes! Our only prepping requirement was masks?? We only had to put on masks for a so called sterile enviorment? No hand washing, gloves or gowns? When in Rome…

We waltz in to the OR and are face to face with the donor liver. The surgeon is doing some tests, flopping the thing around as if it was..Oh, chopped liver? Lol

Anyway, it was an amazing experience to be a part of and we plan to go see a whole procedure sometime in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment