Sunday, October 7, 2012

Day 3

We woke up today and were determined to make it successful and the walk to the hospital/ stop for breakfast and coffee was. However, we looked at my blackberry and realized that the SIM card was not working since my phone is locked...this cannot be real. We decided to worry about that later...

We get the hospital and start getting the hang of things. The extremely small elevators where people hug and kiss no longer intimidated us. However, for the last few days Cynthia and I have been feeling something playing with our hair in these elevators but did not think anything of it. It wasn't until I saw the woman actually caress Cynthia's curl that I realized people have been playing with our frizzy, curly hair for days now...we still have no idea if this is part of their culture.

So we get in the pharmacy and actually have plans! ICU day!! We met with the respiratory and physically therapy team today... We did a few rounds with them and were less than amused the entire time. We walked into a patients room with the respiratory therapist and had to garb up since he required isolation. So we are now wearing clothes, white coats, gloves and a large green foamy wrap. Once again, not breathable...why does this keep happening?!

Cynthia seems to be ok while I am slowly suffocating to death and decide that if I don't step out, I will pass out. So I ungarb and wash my hands and step outside. Cynthia remains inside the patients room like a good student and after 5 minutes, I get really bored. I inform Cynthia I am coming back in. She informed me to take off my coat before garbing up so I don't get hot again, but I chose not to listen.

I garb up and 5 minutes later get too hot again. I guess I should have listened...

Well here's me all alone outside of this patients room waiting for the therapist to get the hell out of there (since when do they stay in there for an hour??.. My feet hurt!!)! Finally, Cynthia has had enough and joins me outside. We move on to the next patient.

This poor woman is waiting in her bed excited to walk with the PT. She successfully gets out of the bed with her abdominal wrap supporting her. Little did she know, that said wrap had pulled up her hospital gown. And no, she was not wearing anything underneath. We assumed the therapist would fix the issue at hand; however, she simply put a see through wrap over it. So off the patient goes, up and down the halls basically naked as we walked behind and stared at her naked bottom. The poor patient asked if the gown was transparent, but was told it was fine. Is this real life?

The patient finally got to her room and was allowed to sit down, which provided us with a full frontal, and we were allowed to leave.

Oh and also, the "th" sound does not exist in Italian vocabulary so the array of names that Cynthia has been given range from "cintia" to "Bianca's colleague".... She's not as amused as I am by this. Her name now is Lucia if anyone asks and she is from Rome.

After the hospital, we went back to TIM to fix the phone situation. We were told there was nothing they could do... There goes 35 euro...I wish I could scream in Italian.

Defeated, we go to find food. We passed this great little place called pomodoro e vino on our walk to the restaurant we planned to go to. We decided this day was long enough and went to eat there. The waiters seriously seemed like they have never seen an Italian girl before. If you ask Cynthia she would tell you how "in love with me" they all were. But I'll take the 2 free glasses of wine and free shot any day. As we left, the maitre'd yelled to the waiter who referred to me as his love that we were leaving... I definitely told them I knew Italian...


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment