Monday, October 29, 2012

Day 27


 Day 27- from CC’s perspective

I wake up and think okay…here it goes.. I can do this! Yesterday was a bit overwhelming considering I only pick up on words that sound similar to French. Poor B has to play translator and everyone and I mean everyone is always screaming! I wait for B to get up since I refuse to be left alone and we go into the living room for breakfast. Everyone greets us with such big smiles, its so nice to be in a family setting as opposed to our empty apartment. We sit down to eat and are told we are getting pancakes…PANCAKES?!?! Neither B nor I really want an American breakfast, I mean we are only in Italy for a little while longer. But they were so excited to give us something we are used to and they were delicious. They also had homemade jam out on the table which was molto delizioso! After breakfast, B tells her family we need to shower…after various hand motions of what we want to do, they put the heat on (FINALLY I AM SO FROZEN) so we can shower. I go first. When I come out B asks me how it went and why I took so long. It was a fiasco. I tried flushing toilet paper that wouldn’t flush then panicked. Sweating, due to the increase in stress and heat and steaming shower, I decided to wait until I saw B to see what to do. She nonchalantly told me not to worry about it and that she would flush it for me..She saved me a lot this wkd.

When we both are all showered and ready for the day, they tell us to get ready to leave…its POURING outside…why do we have to leave?!! Im finally warm and dry…why!! SO B runs to the bathroom really quick before we go…I am not sure why but almost every time she leaves me to go run to the room or go to the bathroom, everyone decides to talk to me. Again, I understand close to nothing yet they all still talk to me. I eventually got to a point where B wasn’t allowed to leave me alone!

And so we’re off..into the rainstorm we go all equipped with umbrellas. The wind has picked up and B and I are still not adequately dressed for this weather with our little baby flats. All of a sudden a look over and B’s umbrella has inverted in the wind..I should have helped her, but I couldn’t stop laughing. She was panicking trying to get it fixed while Francesca has run to her side in a failed attempt to help her. Eventually Francesca decides that the umbrella is useless and throws it to the side of the street…and leaves it there. Even after all this, we continue walking. We make it to the town center/festival still unaware of where we are going. We make it to the jewelry store where they are buying B a gift (seriously the sweetest people ever)!

We trek back home after that and with soaked feet enter into the welcoming smells of Bolognese sauce. Its lunch time. But I am still not hungry…why are we eating again. I am going to explode from breakfast still…oh boy. So we sit for another delicious 4 course meal filled with homemade ravioli, steak, mashed potatoes and prosciutto, mozzarella, bread, and of course the amazing tiramisu! We also got to eat some figs today, my favorite =)

So now we officially cannot move and I am starting to grow accustomed to the loud speaking Italian family and I am honestly trying to follow what they are saying/ pick up on some phrases! We play uno with the kiddes and then get told to get dressed since we are leaving again. Again, it is POURING and B said she thinks they are taking us to go get shoes..WHAT?! No, that cant be right…so we get in the car.

We pull up to a mall 20 minutes later, yup…we are getting shoes. Apparently, we need shoes in order to go outside. After much arguing and attempts to tell them thank you but no, we lost. I got a pair of gray sneakers and B got a black pair, we didn’t have socks on, but that didn’t matter. Then we mosey on to a different store. And Maria Grazia asked me if I like a bag she is holding up, I told her it was cute and she proceeds to motion that it is for me! WHAT, For me?! I don’t need a bag, why are they insisting on buying me a bag?! They were so sweet for wanting to get me something and after trying to say no thank you again and B trying to explain they didn’t need to get me anything, we failed. We both got scarves. After a while we realized we shouldn’t say we like things anymore because then they just end up buying them for us!

We go back home with our new sneakers on and a happy Francesca and go to the festival. As per usual, the festival was bustling with people even though the weather was crappy. We got to taste more cheese and eat more chestnuts which were delicious! B and I were sharing an umbrella when we went up to a hill to get this specific cheese (I don’t know the name, I just know it was delicious)! Anyways, we get the cheese and the wind picks up. Here we are under an umbrella, holding chestnuts, trying to eat this melted cheese and in the rain. I thought a dropped a piece of cheese but couldn’t find it so let it go. The rain picked up even harder so B pulls up her umbrella again..this time the cheese that I previously dropped flew from the umbrella onto her while she was fighting the wind and I was cracking up. No one stopped to help us, they just watched us struggle. It was quite a site.

We finally get to go home and sit around the table to talk a bit. B went to the bathroom again and left me and conversation was steered my way (I still don’t understand why they think I speak Italian) so Maria Grazia pulls out the dictionary before we call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment