Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 14


Monreale Day. Monreale is this little town just up in the hills of Palermo. It has a church that people here have been raving about. So why not attend the mass there? Well we did our research, had planned taxis, found the mass times, picked a restaurant and were expecting a nice, relaxing, stress free day!

We get there two hours early since mass is at 11 am. We sit down have a cappuccino and croissant (does this sound familiar yet? YUM) We walk around and stumble on some amazing little ceramic shops. I start talking to this one owner who seems to love us and makes us see her other store. Well, I HAVE to buy something now.

After that, we walk into the church around 10:45 because we wanted to be a little early, only to find out we were not only a little bit late, but the priest seemed to be well into his homily. I could catch a few words here and there, and noticed that he kept referring to communion and children and growing up?? Then we hear it. All little voices in the front saying amen. IS THIS A FIRST HOLY COMMUNION? Another sacrament to mark off the list. I guess it was a blessing in disguise that we were late because this 10 am mass lasted until noon!

On a good note- The church was all that it was cracked up to be. It had gold mosaics everywhere. It was an amazing site, making it well worth our trip.

CC decides she wants something from the nice ceramic lady. She walks into her small shop and gets her attention. She leads us to the other shop once again. Meanwhile, CC is desperately trying to whisper something to me. Eventually, I hear her say “Her husband was full on making out with her when I walked in with a handful of her ass!” Oh these Europeans.

Lunch was delicious! I did have a minor scare when CC educated me that these HUGE red things on my plate were whole shrimp that I need to cut to get to the actual food. Well, gotta learn sometime!

We find our overly talkative (not English) taxi driver waiting for us a half hour before pick up time. Whatever. We hop in and go home. As we walk into our room, our cell phone rings. Again, WHO is calling us?? CC throws the phone at me since I may have a better time understanding. After 8 consecutive pronto, which is the equivalent to hello when answering the phone, we hang up. Okay…?

We go grocery shopping, we go to bed, and on to week 3 we go!


No comments:

Post a Comment